Sunday, September 20, 2015

Moved

We left the bordertown of Mission, TX over Labor Day weekend for Temple, TX.  I've made a few observations so far:
1.  I feel SO American here.  Everything is in English and I also run into people from Austria, Germany, and old USSR in addition to occasionally a person from Mexico.  There are redheads everywhere.  This was definitely not the case in Mission and we no longer have the paparazzi following us.
2.  There are minivans and SUVs everywhere.  In fact, people have kids here.  It's strange, but it feels like Utah when it is common to find families with three or even (gasp) FOUR kids.
3.  There are sidewalks in  every housing development and along most major streets.  There is also street lighting.
4.  There is little diversity.  The first Sunday at church in sacrament meeting, Abby says "MOM!  All of the families with kids have blond hair!"  She was mostly right.  Now, this observation may seem to be contradictory to #1, but it feels like no diversity when everyone dyes their hair blond.  If we all have to look alike and mostly all white, that's not diversity!
5.   Texan accents are for real.  My kids could pick it up without my consent.  Then again, who needs consent. 
6.  Schools are very, very different here.  Belton is a top school district and it shows.  Teachers are engaged and positive and they expect a lot from families.  I like it.

In other news, my house is fun.  We're getting settled in and trying to unpack mounds of boxes.
 Back to school night, Mim's Elementary in Mission 2015
 First day of school, Mim's Elementary

2 comments:

Doug and Karalee said...

Looks great. Cant wait to visit.

Calley said...

YAY, I'm so excited for you guys. It already sounds like you like it sooo much better. Maybe we will even come visit now. ;) What city? Temple?