I was invited to a Marriott School Women in Business event tonight to actas a table host. I was supposed to share my story and answer questions about what it's like to be a woman in business. There were other panelist who are much more accomplished and successful in their lives presenting in a more formal way.
As I listened to the questions the students asked the professional women, I realized I was just like these students years ago. I was worried about "concocting a story" to tell others about my career plans post-BYU. Truth is, I had no idea what I was going to do. I used to tell others that my career plan was to "marry an entrepreneur and be his sidekick, no matter the type of business(es)"
My life has turned out in most ways, exactly like I thought. I am happy. I like it. I hope younger women are not afraid to be bold, confident, strong, and beautiful. Confidence is the one must-have for a business person. Fake it until you make it, baby, that's my advice.
1 comment:
I think you are right about having confidence in doing what you want to be doing and not worrying about if it would sound good as a introduction for a key note speaker. I have often wished I knew of a non-rude confident way of responding when people say, "so you just stay home" or "just a stay at home mom." My current response it to smile politely and say, "I am very lucky, I get to be at home with my kids." The line doesn't feel quite right to me, but it's the easiest way I have come up with to say, "I am doing what I want to be doing and I am happy about it."
Post a Comment