Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Ranch

 We have some friends in Weslaco, TX who met us at "the ranch" for a camping/hunting family-friendly trip.  The ranch is nearly 2,000 acres of wildland.  The hunting target was wild hogs.    Since I didn't do any hunting, I don't have any photos of the stalking, kill, or actually, any of it.  But, we do have wild hog in our deep freeze to remember the trip.
 
Dallin loves to pick flowers to give me.  He always, always chooses yellow and picks every dandelion he can find.  He here is smelling them as he made a bouquet for me.
 Abby waiting in the grass while the boys were looking in the pond.  I would never tell her directly, but I was secretly cheering her good decision making.  There could (probably are) snakes all over by the pond.  One fewer kid by the pond = one fewer kid to be exposed to the nastiness. 
 
In case you're wondering, yes, I did see a 4 ft snake and several other signs of snakes.  The Lyles tried to convince me that they're good eating, but they lose me at the intentional trapping/carrying them around part. 
 
In fact, RL said that he likes to reward scouts by taking them to the ranch and showing them how to really snake hunt.  They find snakes and carry them in bags until they find a larger snake.  Each scout continues the pattern until every scout has a 8 ft or longer snake.  Then, they all skin them together and grill them for dinner. Ew.
 The hunter with his baby.  Karissa was clingy as can be this trip.  Thank goodness for her dad's loving lap because I was getting really, really tired of packing her around for three days.
 Here is what the country looks like


No comments: