Friday, April 3, 2009

In General

In General
Things have been so hectic these past few months (well, always, really). Yesterday I left work at 3 pm and spent the evening with Riley. It was the first time during the week that I have gotten to spend the evening with him in months. With work, school, scouts, Abby, and the farm, we have been running.

No more library!
Riley is afraid I’m going to ban him from the library. Seriously, every time he goes in there, he comes out with books for new hobbies. He got his hands on a beekeeping for dummies book, featured a few weeks ago. Riley casually checked it out and since then, he has spent numerous hours researching, reading, buying, and generally preparing for his very own hives. Riley just received his beekeeper’s license in the mail. Wahoo! I will post pictures soon of Riley in his beesuit with the boxes, frames, and hardware needed for his little operation. He is so excited, it is fun.

The farm
Thanks to Jared and Clint, Riley has the fence posts up and most of the sprinkling system in on our property. We planted grass seed last fall and we are now anxiously awaiting its debut. The field was formerly in alfalfa, but we guess the stands are 20 years old. Eventually we plan to get some cows and sheep. Riley is still pushing for chickens, but I have to draw the line somewhere. After growing up on a farm, I can’t bear the thought of having to care for chickens. I remember the stench, the squawking, and the dirty eggs from my childhood. I am never, EVER wanting to relive the days of cracking open eggs to find half formed fetuses and blot spotted yolks. Icky!!!

The hunts
Yesterday I came up with a good idea. I’m proud of myself. Ever since Riley put in for the bison hunt, I have been a little worried about what we would do with hundreds and hundreds of pounds of meat if he drew out on the hunt. My good idea hit us on a drive in the middle of Palmyra, Utah. Sell it! Yup, KSL Classifieds have been so good to us in finding everyday and not-so-everyday purchases such as cedar posts, baby gates, a pump, a cell phone, etc. If we can buy using the site, maybe we can sell. If we get a bison (or even an elk) I am secretly using the site to decrease our massive supply of gamey meat.

3 comments:

The Curtis Family said...

Ha ha ha! I love you Amy! Your just so stinkin funny! How are you! I miss you!

Maxmomma said...

Amers! This post is so fun, I've been dying for this kind of update. It sounds like you are super busy. I wish you all the luck in the world with those bees (they terrify me, I'd actually do much better with the chickens!). How fun that the fence, sprinkling, and grass are in! Wow! That is such amazing progress, and so quickly. I'd love to see pics!

tonandboys said...

I can't stop laughing! This is too funny, Miss Amy. Good thinking with the meat supply. I like the way you think